Fowler Family

Fowler Family
Our family keeps growing!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sidney's book review.

I wanted to add some insight to the family blog and though "what do I do most?". Well... besides change diapers. I came to the conclusion that I have a lot to say about the books I read, and I would like to suggest to my family about what are the must reads and what are the total duds. I thought since we are all avid readers that we can share our insights and our books. If any of you would like to borrow my must reads or take my total duds, be my guest.
I would like to start with my last two reads since they are on my must read list. First I will start with the stirring and heartfelt book The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Now turned into a "Major Motion Picture" I would recommend that it is a must see as well. I picked up the book just desperate to find a page turner. That is what I got. A book that runs the imagination and fills the soul. The Lovely Bones is about a 14 year old girl that is murdered. It continues on about her journey to the after life and her family's acceptance of death and the life there after. If I was a person that had no hope of eternal life this would give me hope. It is a stirring book with colorful description and a moving story line. I give it 4 1/2 stars. It's a must read.
Now, on to book two. It is Altar of Eden by James Rollins, who for now is my favorite author. This was quite a page turner I finished the book in about four days. If you are looking for a good sci-fi book this is the author to go to. This book is about genetically mutated animals, and the people who try to break the puzzle of where the animals came from. James Rollins always adds some truth to his fiction, (he based this book off of some new age research that is going on.) Even though the story is far fetched, it is a fun and fast paced read. I give this book 5 stars just because it gave me the kind of escape I am always looking for.
On to the book of the week. Ark of Fire by C.M. Palov. I am about 70 pages in to the book. My thoughts of this book is the story line is week and the language is offensive. It is about the discovery and the loss of the Stones of Fire, which is part of the Ark of the Covenant. For having such a strong topic the author could have done better. I have my doubts if I will finish this one. If the language could be toned down I may be able to digest this one, since that can't happen I feel this one may be dead on arrival. I give this one 0 stars for just plain failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment